How would you like to see 1,000 well maintained vintage cars all in one place. Yes, all in one place. This event happens yearly. This year may be the year you get to go and see these vehicles “in the flesh.”
Over 1,000 cool cars and 80,000 spectators will roll into the heart of Springfield’s historic downtown September 23-25, 2016 for a weekend of family fun in the sun and non-stop live music and entertainment! Come celebrate the golden age of Route 66…the cars, the music, the food, the friends – all brought together along Illinois Route 66. For more info, call 317-236-6515. (source: illinoisroute66.org)
What is Route 66?
Route 66 is called the Mother Road. It was established on November 11, 1926 and it became one of the most famous roads in America. It originally ran from Chicago, IL through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and ends in Santa Monica, California.
The Mother Road played a big role to those migrating from west and it supported the economies of the towns or cities that it bisected. Unfortunately, on June 27, 1985, route 66 was removed from the highway system when it was replaced by the interstate highway system.
Through the years, Route 66 associations were founded to revive the historic route 66. For example, most cities stenciled “Historic Route 66” on their city name signs. Various sections of Route 66 have also been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Cities, like Springfield, IL, has the Route 66 Annual Fest. The best thing about this event is it is FREE for all. If you want to include your vehicle in the fest, though, there will be a registration fee.
Here are some of the things you can enjoy at the Route 66 Fest (source: familyevents.com)
- Friday Night! Rt. 66 City Nights Cruise For Crime Stoppers – over 1,000 classic cars cruise the city streets! $5 Donation to Crime Stoppers of Sangamon & Menard Counties requested to participate
- Check out Horsepower Alley with high horsepower features like the BURNOUT Competition and Lucas Oil DYNO CHALLENGE!
- Feast your eyes on the gorgeous rides in the Monet of Cars – all cars on display from Dick Levi’s private collection.
- The Travel Illinois Expo showcasing unique travel opportunities to Route 66 motorists traveling through Illinois communities along the Mother Road
- Live Entertainment –on the Hot Rod Stage with classic hits from the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s
- Performance Marketplace for the restoration enthusiast – vendors on display throughout downtown
- Over 50 classes of car awards with CASI certified national judging! New Classes Added This Year!!
So, on September 23 – 25, get ready to see cars and have FREE-tastic time!
Make the most out of what are for FREE in Chicago (and the surrounding areas)!